Sunday, August 16, 2009

Saw Julie & Julia

I cry a lot in general. I always have and don't expect that to change any time soon. There are movies at which I start crying during the opening credits - "Akeelah and the Bee" comes to mind. I went to the AFI Silver theater today to see Julie & Julie. I started crying BEFORE the opening credits and proceeded to laugh and cry heartily throughout the movie. I'm glad I was alone; I didn't have to worry about embarrassing myself in front of people I know!

I heard it in the trailers but it escaped me until watching the film that it is based on BOTH "The Julie/Julia Project" AND "My Life in France". Meryl Streep captured the Julia Child I remember and Amy Adams was the Julie I imagined when I read her book. Nora Ephron blended both women and their stories like [insert some cute cooking term].

If you've read "The Julie/Julia Project" and "My Life in France" you will not be disappointed by this movie. Each book contains much more than what is included in the film, yet the film captures the best of both. All three are wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment