Monday, November 2, 2009

BBQ and Crazy No Cabbage Slaw-like Thing

I picked up some pre-cooked carnitas from Trader Joe's and needed to do something with it. I decided to make a BBQ sandwich by dressing the pork with a friend's special, award winning sauce (Russ & Frank's Sassy BBQ Sauce http://www.russandfranks.com/).

I wanted a cool slaw to go with it but didn't have any cabbage. Having spent over an hour commuting home from work, I didn't want to go out again so I concocted a mock-slaw from the following:

Grated carrots, radishes, and granny smith apples, thinly sliced red onion and green pepper -- and a dressing made of mayo, mustard, rice vinegar, agave (to sweeten), salt & pepper, and a dash of Pete's Hot Sauce. I served it over a bed of fresh greens and topped with a few mini heirloom tomatoes. Whole wheat rolls because my doc says so. It was yummy but in my heart, slaw needs cole (cabbage) and I'll include that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment